Thursday, April 3, 2008

Water

When I stayed at the Raj I was given a folder with lots of information in it.
The handout about water is very interesting.

Water Facts



Experts recommend our daily intake of water should be half our body weight in ounces
( 140 pounds = 70 ounces).

Lack of water is the number one trigger for daytime fatigue.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory,
trouble with basic math, difficulty focusing on the computer screen.


In 37% of Americans the body's thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.


I am good on drinking my water each day.
I trained myself years ago to make sure I stay hydrated.
I have a filter system on my kitchen tap so I am drinking filtered water.
I have a stainless steel water canteen I carry when I run errands.
No plastic bottles!

In the Ayurveda way we are to drink our water room temperature
or warm. No iced or cold water. Cold drinks are difficult for digestion.
I became used to this while I was away.
My program also includes lemons in my water which I really enjoy.

I also am to drink 6 cups of barley water every day.

According to the Raj
barley water is my great friend in the weight loss process.


Barley water:

*Satisfies hunger
*Reduces cravings
*Extracts toxins from deep within the tissues
*Eliminates toxins through the urinary tract
*Is diuretic
*Relieves fluid retention
*Balance Kapha
*Helps metabolize and eliminate fat
*Promotes weight loss

Note: Do not drink after 6pm to avoid disturbing sleep due to the diuretic effect.

Recipe: Boil one handful of whole grain (not "pealed") barley in 6 cups of water for 15 minutes. Strain the barley out and pour the water into a thermos. Drink the water through out the day.

I pour mine into a pitcher.

Some people need rice water.
It is high in nutrition.

Not on my plan.

This morning it is cold and rainy.
It is dark and dreary.
I decided to do up a tray for myself.
Something pretty for my water.
I started off my morning with refreshing lemon water. Good for elimination.
Once the barley water cooled I began drinking it.
I use a glass drinking straw.
By lunch time I was back drinking lemon water.


This morning I lit my candle and sent blessings to those who are thirsty.
I gave thanks for my water.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love this post Sherry. I to drink plenty of water but am so interested in the barley water. For Pitta it would be something else I must look this up in my book.
You are doing so well, and I am learning more from you, tku.
What a beautiful candle........lovely bee.

smilnsigh said...

I'm a bit slow but I'm finally here!!! And reading everything...

Thank you for all you write and share.

Q said...

Dear Cheryl,
Getting enough water is so important. I am not sure what sort of water would be best for the firey Pitta. It always is when a dosha is out of balanced that we begin searching for ways to get back in balance. I do my six cups of barely water and my lemon water.
Once I get my Kapha back into balance I will just do my lemon water.
I like bee's wax candles the best.
I like the non leaded wicks and the pure natural scent of bee's wax!
Namaste,
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Mari-Nanci,
Hope you are able to get your proper sleep and water!
I think these two are the most important.
Once these become habits than adding in the other aspects is easier and more fun!
You are welcome.
Sharing this way of life is nice.
Sherry

Deb said...

The Ayurveda Way sounds fascinating. I am enjoying learning more here on your blog. We have a distiller and haven't used tap water for drinking for 16 years now.

Q said...

Dear Deb,
The Ayurveda way is very lovely. Different from our western ways.
Good that you have the filtered water for cooking and drinking. I have been looking at a filter system for my tub and shower. Clean water and lots of it is so good for us.
Even tho I do not feel 100% well I am still doing my good water and slow cooked pear for breakfast.
Namaste,
Sherry

Mel said...

I sooo should be doing that :(
I don't think I drink enough water...
The candle is georgeous!!

I love your new ways :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry - I read all these posts and really enjoyed them. It would be a real challenge for me to get to bed by 10PM, but I loved seeing your pictures and reading about your new lifestyle. I'm proud of you! Big hug - Sandi

Q said...

Dear Mel,
Water and more water! Most of us are dehydrated. Once you get in to the good water habit you will be delighted with how good you will feel! In the summer I add fresh mint to my water some days. It is refreshing and so pretty. Roses or Lavender is also nice. What ever you have to do make daily water a habit!
I like things pretty!
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Sandi,
Can you start thinking about shutting down around 10pm?
Maybe you could move your bedtime back just one half hour. I think the idea is we get way more done when we have proper rest.
Sleep deprivation is a huge health concern.
Glad you are enjoying the Ayurveda Way. I am learning I need to take what works for me and leave the rest.
I do think it is a beautiful way to live.
Sherry

Naturegirl said...

Sherry I will begin my barley water drink tomorrow!! Thank you so very much...Can I use pearl barley?
How did I NOT come by this blog before tonight??? I'm here now that's what's most important...I also use bees was or soy candles only.hugs

Q said...

Dear Anna,
You found us at just the right time for you!
It is suggested you use the un-pealed or un-pearled barley. Whole barley is what my recipe calls for.
I had to stop my barley water for awhile as I work on getting my vitality back.
So happy you have joined us,
the Ayurveda Way is very lovely.
Just like you!
Namaste,
Sherry